The World’s 50 Best Bars awards were held last week, with many of the industry’s leaders gathering at the iconic Roundhouse in London.
London bars dominated the pointy end of the list, and venues from the USA featured heavily throughout as well. The UK and USA share the spoils of each having ten venues in the Top 50.
London’s critically acclaimed Dandelyan was awarded World’s Best Bar, rising one spot from number two in 2017. The irony here is bittersweet, as owner Ryan Chetiyawardana announced his decision to shut it down and create a new concept in the existing site only two days before the announcement. Talk about going out on top!
It was great to see the large number of high-ranking venues across Asia. Singapore lead the way with five bars featured, including Manhattan (No.3), which wins the title of Best Bar in Asia. Singapore is also represented by Atlas (No.8), Operation Dagger (No.23) and 28 Hong Kong Street (No.34). Native (No.13) jumps 34 places to take out the Highest Climber Award. In addition, Singapore-based bartender Joe Schofield, recently of Tippling Club (No.58) and now heading up the Sensorium project, was named the Altos Bartenders’ Bartender.
Hong Kong’s top entry is The Old Man (No.10), gaining recognition as the highest new entry on the list and joining other notable bars in the Top 100, Quinary (No.54) and Lobster Bar & Grill (No.62).
Australia’s top entry is the iconic Black Pearl (No.30), which coincides with the bar’s reputation of being the incubator of Australia’s bartending legends. It joins other Australian bars in the Top 100 – Sydney’s Bulletin Place (No.75) and The Baxter Inn (No.78) as well as Melbourne newcomer Above Board (No.95).
Great to see two of our expat Aussies, Naren Young and Linden Pride breaking into the Top 10 with their timeless New York bar, Dante (No.9). Congratulations indeed!
Highlights At A Glance:
- Dandelyan claims The World’s Best Bar Award, sponsored by Perrier.
- The 2018 list features 12 new bars; 10 making their debut, two returning to the list.
- The UK and USA lead the list, each featuring 10 bars.
- Four new London bars enter the ranking – Coupette (No.18), Scout (No.28), Three Sheets (No.29) and Swift (No.46).
- Connaught Bar (No.5) from London is named the 2018 Heering Legend of the List.
- Entering the list at No.10 is The Old Man in Hong Kong, winning the Highest New Entry Award, sponsored by Torres.
- The late John Lermayer, co-founder of Sweet Liberty in Miami (No.21), is honoured at the ceremony with the Industry Icon Award, sponsored by Seedlip.
- Himkok in Oslo, Norway (No.19), is the inaugural recipient of the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award at the global awards.
- Joe Schofield, recently of Singapore’s Tippling Club (No.58), is named the Altos Bartenders’ Bartender.
- Carnaval in Lima, Peru (No.68) is named the Campari One To Watch.
See below for the full list of the World’s 50 Best Bars 2018!
The World’s 50 Best Bars 2018
- Dandelyan – London, UK
- American Bar – London, UK
- Manhattan – Singapore
- The NoMad – New York, USA
- Connaught Bar – London, UK
- Bar Termini – London, UK
- The Clumsies – Athens, Greece
- Atlas – Singapore
- Dante – New York, USA
- The Old Man – Hong Kong, China
- Licorería Limantour – Mexico City, Mexico
- Bar High Five – Tokyo, Japan
- Native – Singapore
- Florería Atlántico – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Attaboy – New York, USA
- The Dead Rabbit – New York, USA
- Oriole – London, UK
- Coupette – London, UK
- Himkok – Oslo, Norway
- Speak Low – Shanghai, China
- Sweet Liberty – Miami, USA
- Baba Au Rum – Athens, Greece
- Operation Dagger – Singapore
- Le Syndicat – Paris, France
- Lost & Found – Nicosia, Cyprus
- Employees Only – New York, USA
- Central Station – Beirut, Lebanon
- Scout – London, UK
- Three Sheets – London, UK
- Black Pearl – Melbourne, Australia
- Tales and Spirits – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Linje Tio – Stockholm, Sweden
- Little Red Door – Paris, France
- 28 HongKong Street – Singapore
- Happiness Forgets – London, UK
- La Factoría – Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Paradiso – Barcelona, Spain
- Indulge Experimental Bistro – Taipei, Taiwan
- El Copitas – St Petersburg, Russia
- Tommy’s – San Francisco, USA
- BlackTail – New York, USA
- Candelaria – Paris, France
- Schumann’s – Munich, Germany
- Trick Dog – San Francisco, USA
- Fifty Mils – Mexico City, Mexico
- Swift – London, UK
- Salmon Guru – Madrid, Spain
- Buck and Breck – Berlin, Germany
- Bar Benfiddich – Tokyo, Japan
- Lost Lake – Chicago, USA