38 of the world’s finest bartenders will travel to Berlin this May to face judges representing some of the industry’s biggest names at this year’s Bacardí Legacy Global Cocktail Competition.
The cocktail competition challenges bartenders with creating the next generation of timeless classic rum cocktails. For this edition, bartenders were invited to use Bacardí 8 Años, Bacardí Carta Oro and Bacardí Carta Blanca in their creations.
Contestants have spent the past year refining and creatively promoting their cocktail entries under the mentorship of Bacardí brand ambassadors in preparation for the final round. They will spend five days in Berlin attending workshops led by industry greats, before presenting their cocktails and finally attending the global final announcement at EWERK on 23 May 2017.
This year, Bacardí has partnered with DJ trio Major Lazer, celebrating the Caribbean roots of both the rum brand and today’s music, with the group recently visiting the distillery in Puerto Rico. Jillionare from Major Lazer will be on the decks at the final, playing an electronic fusion of dancehall, soca, reggae and hip-hop to keep guests dancing well into the night. He will also reveal the fruits of the group’s distillery visit and collaboration on the night.
The competition’s judging panel consists of industry heavyweights from around the globe, including renowned Mixologist Hidetsugu Ueno of Tokyo’s Bar High Five, New York bar owner and industry mentor Julie Reiner and founder of UK Rumfest and Global Rum Ambassador Ian Burrell.
The full list of judges is as follows.
Grand Final Judges:
- Julie Reiner (New York bar owner, mixologist and industry mentor)
- Jose Sanchez Gavito (Maestro de Ron Bacardí)
- Gn Chan (2016 Bacardí Legacy Global Champion)
- Hidetsugu Ueno (Japan’s master Mixologist of Bar High Five)
- Monica Berg (behind the bar and spirits program at micro-distillery HIMKOK)
- Tristan Stephenson (author of ‘The Curious Bartender’ book series)
- Ian Burrell (UK Rumfest founder and Global Rum Ambassador)
- Frank Dedieu (2015 Bacardí Legacy Global Champion)
- Klaus St. Rainer (owner of Die Goldene Bar and author of ‘Cocktails’)
Judging the bartenders on their drink’s promotional campaign:
- Ryan Chetiyawardana (creator of the ‘Mr Lyan’ brand and London’s award winning White Lyan and Dandelyan bars)
- Enrique Comas (6th generation member of Bacardi family)
- Naren Young (acclaimed bartender, journalist and founder of forkandshaker.com)
- Melissa Frank (VP Marketing, Bacardí Europe)
To follow the lead-up action and for more information, visit the competition’s Facebook page.